The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 30% of youth ages 8–15 years old misperceive their weight. Approximately 81% of overweight boys and 71 % of overweight girls believe that they are a healthy weight. Here in Texas 20% of all youth ages 10- 17 years old are considered overweight or obese according to research from the University of Texas School of Public Health. If unchecked, obesity will put our children at risk for many chronic diseases seen in adults such as high cholesterol, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. Let’s combat obesity NOW!
- Eat Healthy: Make water the drink of choice for kids.
- Play Every Day: Kids should have at least 60 minutes of unstructured play outside (when possible) including 20 minutes or more of vigorous physical activity.
- Get Together: Eat as a family as frequently as possible. Kids can be involved in the meal preparation and clean up.
- Reduce Screen Time: Time spent in front of a television, computer, tablet, cell phone or playing video games should be limited to two hours per day.
- Sleep Well: Kids and adults need to keep a regular sleep schedule—10-12 hours per night for kids and seven to eight hours for adults.
YMCA Junior Certification Program
FREE w/Family Membership
The Y offers you and your family a wide variety of fitness equipment in order to cater to your every exercise need. Junior Certification Program is a introductory course that teaches youth and teens (ages 9-14 yrs) how to work out safely and effectively within the wellness center. We will introduces basic muscle anatomy, healthy eating habits, exercise concepts and guidelines, and gym etiquette/safety practices. Participants take a 30 minute orientation with a wellness staff and when the orientation is complete, they will be able to work out on their own on designated pieces of equipment with an adult present.
FIND OUT MORE: